Therapists at JSA use a variety of programs in their treatment. It is vital that the SLP uses his/her clinical judgment to design the most appropriate treatment plan and utilize the most effective treatment techniques for the individual client.
Family-Focused Language Intervention Program (F.L.I.P.)
In 2012 JSA created a unique therapeutic program for use with early intervention clients. FLIP is designed to maximize caregiver participation and carryover in the therapy process, to clearly educate caregivers on strategies for speech and language development and to improve the feedback process, ultimately leading to greater progress for clients and consistency in therapy.
- FLIP provides a framework and process for therapists to systematically accomplish all of their therapeutic responsibilities.
- Consistently set expectations and define roles for parents and caregivers who are participating in therapy.
- Educate caregivers on strategies to increase Receptive-Expressive Language and Speech Development.
- Model use of those strategies.
- Provide feedback for caregivers utilizing those strategies.
- Identify specific speech and language targets for the client.
- Identify, with the caregiver, opportunities to use strategies outside of therapy sessions and monitor carryover.
- Provide periodic updates on the client’s progress and therapy plan.
Academic Day Camp
Looking to boost your child's reading, writing, and math skills this summer? Justine Sherman & Associates offers Summer FUNdamentals, a month-long camp with daily instruction in decoding, spelling, reading comprehension, written language, and mathematical reasoning and calculation. Sign up for all five hours or select a customized package.
- Ready, Set, Read! Targets several reading skills including phonological awareness, letter sound and word recognition, decoding, fluency and spelling
- Visualizing & Verbalizing® Lindamood Bells® V&V® program develops and enriches many skills including reading comprehension, written language, logic and reasoning.
- Second to None! Mathematics workshop for students looking to develop skills in: basic math fact fluency, word problems, and graph interpretation.
Lindamood-Bell Learning Processes Programs®
Visualizing and Verbalizing® for Language Comprehension and Thinking
Visualizing/Verbalizing® develops concept imagery – the ability to create an ‘imaged’ or imagined gestalt from language. The gestalt is the organized whole that is more than the sum of its parts. Concept imagery serves as a basis for comprehension and higher order thinking.
- Visualizing/Verbalizing® is a beneficial program for individuals with difficulties in language comprehension (the interpretation of oral and written language), language expression, and critical thinking. V/V® strengthens 5 domains essential for successful communication:
- Reading Comprehension – to recall facts, get the main idea, make an inference, draw a conclusion, predict, and evaluate.
- Oral Language Comprehension – to follow directions, understand jokes or humor, grasp the main idea or inferences from TV shows or movies, and increase attention in conversations or teachers’ lessons/lectures.
- Oral Language Expression – to organize verbalizations and express oneself with greater fluency and ease.
- Written Language Expression – to organize and structure paragraphs and essays with the understanding that words in text create images for the reader.
- Critical Thinking – to answer interpretive questions regarding main idea, inference, conclusion, prediction, and evaluation and apply to cause/effect relationships in life situations.
On Cloud Nine®: Visualizing and Verbalizing® for Math
- On Cloud Nine® is a complete math curriculum that utilizes imagery and language as the foundation skills for math. The program takes the individual up a math ladder composed of 12 steps with detailed lessons that follow three basic steps to develop mathematical reasoning and computation: 1.) manipulatives to experience the realness of math, 2.) imagery and language to make the sensory connection, and 3.) computation to apply math to problem solving.
- Concrete Imagery Computation.
- On Cloud Nine® is a beneficial program for individuals who struggle to conceptualize math and experience difficulty with: automaticity of addition, subtraction and multiplication, solving word problems, understanding place value, and computing multi-digit addition and subtraction, division, decimals and fractions.
The Lindamood Phoneme Sequencing® Program for Reading, Spelling, and Speech (LiPS®)
- LiPS® is a comprehensive decoding and spelling program that incorporates the awareness of mouth movements with sounds and then sounds with letter symbol relationships that improves individuals’ reading and spelling skills. Individuals move through simple syllables to complex syllables practicing spelling expectancies using oral-motor, visual, and auditory feedback to strengthen spelling skills and reading fluency.
- LiPS® is a beneficial program for individuals of all ages who experience difficulty with one or more of the following: phonemic awareness, reading fluency, and spelling.
Seeing Stars®: Symbol Imagery for Phonemic Awareness, Sight Words, and Spelling
- Seeing Stars® is a spelling and reading program that promotes symbol imagery or the ability to visualize letters in words. Through a step by step process of imaging, individuals learn how to unlock access to the “comprehension circle” composed of auditory, visual and language components or quick, accurate phonetic processing, automatic sight word recognition, and contextual cues and oral vocabulary.
- Seeing Stars® develops fluent decoding and accurate spelling skills in individuals. Seeing Stars® is a beneficial program for individuals who have difficulty with phonemic awareness automaticity and underdeveloped decoding and spelling skills.
SPELL-Links to Reading & Writing™: A Word Study Curriculum
- SPELL-Links explicitly targets more than 70 spelling patterns through lessons in each pattern that incorporate 5 or more word study activities with reading and writing practice within each spelling pattern. SPELL-Links is designed within a five block model for teaching word study: 1.) phonological awareness, 2.) orthographic knowledge, 3.) mental orthographic images of words, 4.) semantic and vocabulary knowledge, and 5.) morphological knowledge and awareness. Intertwining these five domains through explicit instruction using visuals and manipulatives, the program works to create a functional connection and automaticity among the regions of the brain involved in reading and writing. Additionally, it includes meta-linguistic strategies, strategies that encourage individuals to think about language and talk about it, to develop executive functioning skills that result in independent readers and writers.
- SPELL-Links is a beneficial program for individuals who struggle with spelling, reading, and also, writing. This program works especially well for those who experience difficulty with: sounds, letters and meanings within words. SPELL-Links focuses on the spelling “rules” and patterns in English and the strategies that can be useful for unlocking these patterns. Individuals are assessed using SPELL-2, a software assessment tool that analyzes an individual’s patterns of misspelling and provides individualized learning objectives for spelling instruction based on the assessment results.
- Oral Placement Therapy (OPT) is a speech therapy which utilizes a combination of: (1) auditory stimulation, (2) visual stimulation and (3) tactile stimulation to the mouth to improve speech clarity.
- OPT is used to improve articulator awareness, placement (dissociation, grading, and direction of movement), stability, and muscle memory; all of these are necessary for the development of speech clarity.
- Oral Placement Therapy (OPT) uses a hierarchical based approach to improve speech clarity and feeding skills in individuals of all ages and across diagnoses. These innovative techniques focus on motor movement activities used to improve phonation, resonation, and speech clarity.
- Combined with a tactile-sensory approach, OPT provides a comprehensive solution to a variety of speech and feeding issues.
- OPT involves the use of therapy tools to train and transition muscle movements for speech production.
Orofacial Myofunctional Therapy
OM therapy is conducted by trained orofacial myologists to address orofacial myofuncational disorders such as tongue thrusting, parafunctional habit elimination and TMD.